iniital problems with giada

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
atte
F3 - Chamomille

iniital problems with giada

Post by atte » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:06 am

Hi

Curiosity drove me to try out gaida (I'm running arch linux with an edirol fa66, my system is configured for audio and I use it for this everyday), however without success :-(

1) running configure gave the following errors:

Code: Select all

atte@blokhus:~/software/giada/giada_0.4.8$ ./configure --target=linux
<snip>
checking RtAudio.h usability... no
checking RtAudio.h presence... no
checking for RtAudio.h... no
configure: error: library 'rtAudio' not found!
I had already installed rtaudio from aur. A kind soul on linux-audio-user told me to run configure like this:

Code: Select all

CPPFLAGS=-I/usr/include/rtaudio ./configure --target=linux 
After that I was able to build gaida.

2) Upon launch gaida (both my own build and the binary download) kept complaining "Your soundcard isn't configured correctly. Check the configuration and restart Giada". It turned out that gaida is hardcoded for 44100 and I was running at 48000.

Now I was able to test gaida. I was a little disappointed that I couldn't stretch loaded loops to fit the tempo, but that's another story.

I think it would be a good idea to address the problems I encountered, since others are bound to run into the same problems, and they might no be as persistent as I were :-)

ad 1) Is it possible to change the configure so that it looks for RtAudio.h in more places (usr/include/rtaudio on my system)?

ad 2) A bit more flexibility to the way gaida expects the audio environment would be great. So when jack is running it should be able to handle what-ever-settings jack is using. I also heard rumors that the audio engine will fail with the same error if the soundcard is not capable of running in dublex mode. In this case it would be better to warn the user (something like "your soundcard is not running in duplex mode, you will not be able to record with gaida"). At least a more informative error message is needed, but flexibility in the way gaida handles audio would be best.

Hope you don't mind these suggestions, I'm just trying to help :-)

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: iniital problems with gaida

Post by FFT » Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:20 pm

Hi atte, many thanks for the suggestions, your help is much appreciated!

rtaudio.h
Very strange, we'll investigate it...

44100 hardcoded
This is a known issue. A generous guy from Archlinux sent us a patch which we want to apply in the 0.4.x trunk.

stretch loops
feature planned for the very near future ;)

duplex mode
This one is another issue we strive to fix as soon as possible, as you can see here; the audio environment will become definitely more flexible in the upcoming version (0.4.9).