mandatory inputs

Errors, malfunctions, website typos.
lverona
F9 - Lavender

mandatory inputs

Post by lverona » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:38 pm

Hey guys!

Some people might want to have JACK running in playback mode only. In my case I had a USB adaptor for headphones which has a mono input. In both cases Giada wants either two inputs or nothing. I think this can be classified as a "bug" in a sense that a person who does not plan to record anything might not even be able to start Giada, which he really wants just for playback.

So my suggestion would be to have an option in Config to not have inputs or else just not make inputs mandatory for audio engine start.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: mandatory inputs

Post by FFT » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:37 pm

lverona wrote:Hey guys!

Some people might want to have JACK running in playback mode only. In my case I had a USB adaptor for headphones which has a mono input. In both cases Giada wants either two inputs or nothing. I think this can be classified as a "bug" in a sense that a person who does not plan to record anything might not even be able to start Giada, which he really wants just for playback.

So my suggestion would be to have an option in Config to not have inputs or else just not make inputs mandatory for audio engine start.
Hi lverona,
yes it is a bug indeed, the input should be optional. A brutal "no recordings" inside the dropdown menu solves everything, even if it excludes mono devices like yours. Converting stereo to mono on the fly is quite complex at the moment (although it would be an attractive option).

lverona
F9 - Lavender

Post by lverona » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:42 pm

No, no, it will not exclude my device. In my device only input is mono, output is stereo.

Duchamp
Site Admin

Post by Duchamp » Sun May 13, 2012 3:27 pm

(hopefully) fixed in 0.4.9

lverona
F9 - Lavender

Post by lverona » Wed Jun 13, 2012 1:00 pm

Hey man!
Thanks, this is fixed. However, I would like to note that it still won't work out of the box. Meaning, you first need to start it with mandatory inputs, THEN go to config and choose "no inputs", close the app and only then will it work. So by default when you launch it - it still says config is wrong and when you try to go to config and choose "no inputs" the app crashes.

Duchamp
Site Admin

Post by Duchamp » Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:45 pm

lverona wrote:Hey man!
Thanks, this is fixed. However, I would like to note that it still won't work out of the box. Meaning, you first need to start it with mandatory inputs, THEN go to config and choose "no inputs", close the app and only then will it work. So by default when you launch it - it still says config is wrong and when you try to go to config and choose "no inputs" the app crashes.
Hey L, that's strange. By default the input is now disabled. Could you delete the ".giada" folder in your home directory and relaunch the app?

lverona
F9 - Lavender

Post by lverona » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:04 pm

Tried it. It does work, but when I first started it with JACK, it did give out a warning message that the soundcard is not configured correctly. I then had to go into config, click Save, then restarted the app - and all was fine.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Post by FFT » Sun Jul 01, 2012 8:35 am

lverona wrote:Tried it. It does work, but when I first started it with JACK, it did give out a warning message that the soundcard is not configured correctly.
Probably it happens because JACK wants the input enabled... We are investigating it!