pitch control should be like turntables

Good ideas, proposals, enhancements.
motosega
F8 - Hawthorn

pitch control should be like turntables

Post by motosega » Thu May 08, 2014 2:12 pm

using the pitch control via midi i found that the original pitch of the sample is at about value 36.
i would have expected it to be at 64 (the center)

wouldn't it be better to have a "turntable like" pitch control where 0 percent change is at the center +20% is the bottom and -20% is the top?

the technics sl1200 mk2 (the industry standard) has plus and minus 8% pitch control
when mixing you normaly want to avoid mixing tracks together that are more than 8% out, because they start to sound weird.

newer tuntables like stantons str8-150 , the numark ttx and vestax pdx series have plus and minus 50% pitch range.

however 50% pitch is hard to use on a normal length fader

the vestax solution to this is to have one fader called ultrapitch that does coarse adjustmets within the +/-50 range and a seccond, normal fader that goes up and down 10%
the numark solution is to have selectable pitch range, (8%, 10%, 20%, 50%)

i have numark ttx turntables and i normal use them on 20% when scratching and 10% when mixing 20%

but i think that the vestax idea is probably a better fit for giada. especialy because the resoulution of midi control changes is limited.

maybe there are some other ways to do this from cdj land, but i've never been there so i don't know. anybody care to comment?

so what i'm proposing is that giada have two pitch faders, one that does +/-10% and one that does +/-50% like the vestax turntables.
this is also compatabile with 16bit midi controlers which use two control change messages , one for LSB and one for MSB so anybody who happens to have a midi controler that does 16bit can just use one fader.

FFT
F14 - Syrian Rue

Re: pitch control should be like turntables

Post by FFT » Mon May 12, 2014 8:10 pm

using the pitch control via midi i found that the original pitch of the sample is at about value 36.
That's right. In version 0.8.whatever we changed the overall pitch range to [0, 4] from the original [0, 1] so (if I did the math right) the "center", mapped in a range [0, 127] should be around 36. It's interesting because we designed the pitch control knob in a Reaper-like fashion, where you tweak it with mouse or by inserting numeric values into the input box.
especialy because the resoulution of midi control changes is limited.
That's the central point: the controller becomes too "responsive" due to its low resolution. I guess we could add a new option to switch between different pitch ranges: 8%, 10%, 20%, 50% and so on.

motosega
F8 - Hawthorn

Re: pitch control should be like turntables

Post by motosega » Tue May 13, 2014 9:12 pm

i suppose it makes more sense when controling via the mouse, but via midi its prett unusable in its current state.

regardless though i think it makes sense for the center to be zero.

maybe you could just limit the midi range to 10%(centered), that would keep it usefull for everybody.