After more than two weeks of twiddling with different softwares and setups, I finally got Giada to start behaving promisingly. But I still face some major roadblocks.
What I would want:
- I play stuff on my Arturia KeyStep keyboard.
- This gets routed through Giada, where I can record/loop as needed.
- It plays to different software synthesizers (listening on different MIDI channels).
- I can hook up synths to Giada, and play back via different channels.
- I can record notes (actions) from virtual keyboard.
- I can record orphaned MIDI notes from KeyStep.
- Outside of Giada: KeyStep plays perfectly on synths.
- Currently the single most important issue: Giada can't record correctly from KeyStep, it only receives orphaned notes.
- When I hook up KeyStep to synth via Giada, I can't get any direct audible feedback (no MIDI notes sent to synth) when I play manually. This may well be due to the first issue.
- I didn't delve deeper into this issue, but so far, Giada has not acted as MIDI clock slave to KeyStep. (When I turn the physical Rate knob, I would expect to see bpm change in Giada.
- Arturia KeyStep (firmware up to date), configured to Internal clock, hooked up via USB.
- AV Linux (2019.4.10, 64 bit)
- Giada v. 0.15.4
- I can provide any further details required (I don't really know what may be significant).